Thursday, April 26, 2007

white daisy passing

So I told my dad earlier that I'm adding an English major to my polisci one and am keeping my writing minor. Needless to say he's pissed. But I don't really care. I am done letting him dictate how I lead my life.

Not just him though. It's everyone. I am completly over worrying about everyone else's happyness at the detriment of my own. I mean, of course I care about my friends and their opinion but that shouldn't be my first concern. And under no circomstances should I be listening (or even taking into advisement) the opinion or wishes of someone who, in effect, is at the root of almost all of my issues.

If being an English major makes me happy, then I should do it. Dont get me wrong, I still love politics and I am never going to stop loving campaign season. But for once, I feel like I've finally found somthing that I'm good at and I want to see where it takes me. Somthing of my own. I don't want to work on the hill...it doesn't do anything for me and life's too short to not be doing what I love. Campaigns and I are fucking fantastic together but I mean...I hate local politics and I'm not good or well-known enough to do a national (or even a statewide) campaign...yet. So until I hit that level (if I ever do), I can only work every two years. For 11 months...if that. And if I really just want to be a speechwriter, than it shouldn't be a problem teaching college literature and writing. I'm a politics junkie and obsess over governmental goings-on anyways so it's not like I'm going to be out of the loop. And a bunch of professers have their little pet projects...mine can just be speechwriting and consulting.

But...somthing that might suck is that I found out...for my English doctorate....I need two languages. I mean, ok. I can do French no problem. But I need another. And it has to be a current language. As in no Latin (but I'm still taking Latin next semester...no worries...it'll help with rhetoric and for origonal polisci texts).

and i make it impossible to love me.

No comments: