Wednesday, May 2, 2007

shameless

I have to say...I am actually proud of my American lit paper. I didn't **really** freakout over it. I have a clear and creative thesis that resonates throughout the paper. I properly use secondary sources. It's organized (moreso than my papers usually are). And I have a conclusion that does more than restate the introduction. And I stayed under 15 pages--not counting the works cited.

My Moleskine notebooks are here! Sigh. I am such a loser. It's amazing how somthing as seemingly unremarkable like a notebook can evoke such a powerful responce from someone. I mean, when you first look at it...it looks like just a basic, black journal with cream pages and a stitched binding. But...it's so much more. They are a blank canvass for my work. And by using them, I feel like I am a part of a greater tradition. Although it remains unconfirmed...it is thought that Hemmingway used Moleskine notebooks. It's not even the fact that Hemmingway used them, it's that by using them, I am connecting with the creative minds who have used them and are using them and will use them.

We are all connected.

Today was the last day of Wednesday classes for my first year at college. I feel as if I should say somthing to mark the occation. I mean, I guess I've learned a lot...not only in regards to academia but about myself:

1. I'm smarter than I let on. It is ok to show intelligence...noone is going to chastise you for it and if they do, they are probably just jelous.
2. It is not my responsibility to take care of everyone. I need to take care of myself if I am going to do any good for anyone.
3. Thesis statements do not have to be at the end of the intro paragraph. Nor do conclusions have to be extremly repetitive.
4. All-nighters are a nessasary evil and are much easier when done with friends and Jolt or RedBull.
5. Noone really cares what you look like. It's ok to wear sweats to class (as long as they are appropriate). It doesn't make you any less intelligent...just more comfortable.
6. I cannot do math. Which is why I am always going to suck at science and econ.
7. It's ok to ask for help.

See...I'm maturing. Gosh. I could almost be mistaken for a fully-functioning adult.

No comments: