Saturday, May 26, 2007

bravedancing



Fleet Week is amazing. Earlier I had some time so I went over to the pier to check out the goings-on. It's such a jovial time for everyone coming off the ships, looking for some fun around the greatest city in the world. They're my age though, the sailors, some even younger. Kids really who for one reason or another decided to join the Navy. But regardless of their motivations or the situation our (mostly) incompitant leaders direct them towards, they diserve our respect and support.



And then I started to get think. I know I have no right to be upset but I am really starting to miss David. 349 days ago the humvee he was traveling in in Iraq ran over an IED and exploded. He, along with the two other people in the vehicle were killed. He died a hero a week before his 19th birthday.



It bothers the crap out of me when people say I can't be a democrat and support the troops. I think that is absolutly disgusting. I am a democrat and damn proud of it. But I don't think that means I have to turn my back on the men and women who are willing to die for us. While I might not believe in this fight, if my friends choose to join the battle I am going to unequovically support them.



Maybe...I think a little part of me wants to believe its more than the individual fight, be it against the insurgency in Iraq or the global jihadist threat. It's about believing in the foundations of our democracy to the point where you're willing to protect it by whatever means are at your disposal. I don't know.

No comments: