Tuesday, June 19, 2007

whisperspin

Last night. Fantastic. I don't think I've ever had such a buzz in my entire life. Not to say it wasn't extremly petrifying and one of my friends had to practically shove me onto the stage area place thing. But it was so liberating once I was up there. I mean, it was kind of surreal. I felt like I was just reading in my room or in class or to the **very** few people I share my work with. So amazing....

Andrew came to the reading. I still don't know how to feel about it. We ended up going out for a few beers after and just talked. He says he wants to get back together. But I don't know. I don't know what I want. We decided though, regardless of if we do or don't, we're going to stay friends. Which I guess is important, not to mention kind of weird for us to decide. I mean, after all the shit I put him through and he tried to pull on me. But whatever. Part of me wants to be with Mike. I just wish he would tell me what he wants, stop leaving me guessing, you know? I think I just wan't the security of knowing what is going on, either way.

Anyways. Camp starts Monday. Or rather one of the two camps I'm working at. First month is an afternoon camp that runs concurrently with the morning program run through the Westfield Workshop for the Arts. And then I have two weeks of chic empowerment camp. For the first camp though, I have to make up lesson plans for each day. Kind of hard, I mean, I have no idea what a bunch of 5 and 6 year olds are going to want to do for six hours. I think I'm going to stick to the staples for the first week, you know-- soccer, SPUD, kickball, assassin, walks to the playground at the park. And then afterwards, the junior counselor for my group and I can reassess. Ha. How crazy is that? Even though I've never done the camp counselor thing, I get placed as a senior counselor. As in, I'm in charge!

I also really want to tie-dye with the kids. I think that'd be really fun. Especially when one of our Friday "Theme Days" is 1960s. I don't care if they get messy, that's half the fun. I guess I could just send out a letter to the parents of my group the week before, letting them know that's what the plan is and tell them not to dress the kids in anything they don't want multcolured after the fact.

For leadership camp though, I have no real idea of what I want to do. I'm thinking the last afternoon, because we're right by the Apalacian Trail, I want to do a big hike up there and watch the sunset just to reflect once we're up there. There's this one part of the trail for camp around 3 or 4 miles down that is completly void of trees, just the most white slate rock I've ever seen and an amazing view to accompany it. And I want to start out every morning doing yoga with the girls on the quad outside the cabins. I definatly want to do an afternoon of self-defence and violence against women awareness. And maybe a poetry reading one night around the campfire. Maybe. I don't know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should teach the 5 and 6 year olds self defense...no wait, don't, someone could lose an eye. If you have part of the AT available then hell yeah you should take those girls hiking and do a fire-circle poetry reading thing; or ghost stories. Whatever you wind up doing: Good Luck! :)

PS: Glad to hear the reading went so well. I had a vision of some guy in a Volkswagen passing by and screaming, "3 v-dubs for under 18,000 dollars!"