Tuesday, February 19, 2008

seek up

Today's the Wisconsin & Hawaii primaries... and I couldn't care less. Really. I think I'm just burnt out. When all you (for lack of better word) do for seven years is the political thing, it gets tiring. And I'm kind of at that point. I'm not over OVER it. But I want to do more.

I met with my adviser yesterday to talk grad school. I know I want to do something with international relations, with a focus on Africa. But my GPA is really really hideous and I'm left with a 3.73 after last semester. Meaning the grad programs with an Africanist in the department aren't even going to look at me unless I bring it up to a 3.95 or higher. Which sucks. I know I really don't have anyone to blame but myself if I don't get into a worthwhile grad program. I guess... maybe though... going to South Africa next Spring may help boost my resume. Especially if I can get some research done when I'm there.

The only thing I KNOW that is going to kick my butt if I don't start immediately is learning Afrikaans. The Dutch is going to mess me up but I'm thinking, because I have a background in German and some Latin that it shouldn't be too bad. I just want to be able to communicate when I'm there and not look like a stupid foreigner. And, although all of the classes I'm taking are being taught in English, I want to be able to communicate with the people I'm living with and such.

Wow... I can't believe I'm actually doing this!!! Finally something to look forward to that I've decided to do on my own terms.

No comments: