Tuesday, August 28, 2007

gag

Mike and I had a really big talk last night and he conceded that what he did was very messed up and so I guess now we're good. Yay.

I basically ADORE my creative writing workshop. The professor, Dr. Gottfried, is one of the most chill people I've seen in a while. She seems to be disgustingly intelligent but not elitist about it. I think I'm really going to get a lot out of being in a workshop where the focus isn't on readying pieces for publication, but instead creating something worthwhile. I mean, not that I didn't love my summer workshops because they were fantastic for me...really pushing me towards writing for an audience rather than myself...but that's so stressful. I think at this point, I want to concentrate on the craft as opposed to the end result.

It kind of sucks though because this girl who I had drama with last semester is in the class and she already made some pretty bitchy comments towards some of my opinions on one of the pieces we read yesterday. We were analyzing "Why Don't You Dance?" by Raymond Carver and I said something along the lines of the female character acting like a desperate teenager craving attention and the girl said she was basically acting exactly like me. I mean, come on...that's messed up. She doesn't know me that well and regardless, you shouldn't say things like that in class. It's one thing to say that you disagree with my take of the piece, but to make a personal attack....uncool.

I need to quit smoking...seriously. I think once I'm poor again I'll quit but it really does help keep me not as stressed. Which, let's be honest, is really important.

1 comment:

Amrita said...

I like that phrase "disgustingly intelligent".

Its a good decision to quit smoking. Its waste of money actually and can affect your health too.

Glad you talked to Mike.

go to www.worldevangelism.blogspot.com and watch Steve Job 's Stanford Commencement Address 2005 video. Its really great.