Wednesday, January 23, 2008

bleed black

I changed my mind.

Being back here isn't that bad. I guess. I think it's just weird having to be around large numbers of people who I don't really like, for one reason or another. I really thought all of the drama from last semester would have subsided over break, but apparently not. It only festered into a weird looking shape of cruelty and malcontent.

I'm pretty ecstatic that I have my single. I don't think I could have dealt with Jen as a roommate. She's very.... unintelligent and lacking any semblance of creativity or individuality. That's not good for me to be around. I don't mind occasionally being ridiculous with my friends. But constantly... that would probably make me cry. Which is very no bueno.

As for classes thus far, I don't know what to really think. I got roped into taking biology by one of my friends. I took bio in year 9 of high school and it was not the best experience. Bad teacher, bad people in the class, bad case of 13 year old apathy towards everything and anything. Anyway, hopefully this time around won't be nearly as painful. The professor used to teach kindergarten and seems very enthusiastic at making us at least somewhat biologically competent. The only thing I don't really like about him is that he seems to be trying too hard to get us to like him. I kinda wanna be like, "Prof. T, listen... breathe. We're either going to love or hate you. Such is life. Nothing you can do will change that." but that may be just a smidge harsh. The bio class itself though is already kinda hard. It took me two hours last night to read half a chapter. The bloody intro chapter. I had to stop every line or so to look up a term. Pathetic, no?

English this year... what is to be said? I think there's about four of us in the class who have actually picked up a piece of literature in the past year. Case in point; during introductions, Dr. K had us do the general "name, year, favourite author" and 90% of the class freely admitted that they don't read and haven't heard of any of the pieces or authors we're going to be examining. I'm sorry, but how dense do you have to be to not even recognize the name Toni Morrison. Seriously. I think it's also kind of sad. Why aren't these kids reading? Did they have a shitty lit professor in high school that killed it for them? Everybody CAN read... it's just a matter of finding the right things. But whatever. My professor kind of rocks. She just came off leave and is snarky, brilliant and extremely chill. Thank God. I'd heard not so hot things about Dr. K and no lie... I was a little not looking forward to the first lecture. But she's awesome so no worries. And we're reading really awesome pieces, starting with Charlotte Temple. Heck yes! I'll take strong female characters and interesting prose over drug store literature (and I use that term loosely) any day.

The only thing that kind of sucks is that I have to go back to Jersey next weekend for a Hillary fundraiser. I don't mind at all... I love Hillary and will do anything & everything to make sure she's the next president. But on the other hand, I just got here. I want to get back into the swing of things before going home and dealing with that drama.

But it's whatever. At least I'm not doing the TS thing and being extremely unhealthy. Oh wait... Whoops. I am! But I'm ok with that. One can exist on cigarettes and caffeine alone. I swear.

No comments: